History of Little Elm, TXFrom the Beginning to Where We Are Today!
The Peters Colony and Little Elm were chartered in 1841 as part of the Republic of Texas. The area was inhabited mostly by Indian tribes who lived along the several creeks that traversed the area, providing abundant water for springs and associated wildlife for food.
As settlers discovered, the area also had a rich source of timber which provided fuel in the harsh winters and fertile soil for crops. Little Elm remained a quiet lakeside community until growth by surrounding communities began to have a profound affect on our sleepy town.
As growth discovered Little Elm in the late 1990’s, residents began to prepare for the flood of new residents that were learning about our beautiful lake setting that had been enjoyed so much by a small number of the local residents for decades.
A large portion of the original downtown is currently below the waters of Lewisville Lake as a result of the Corp of Engineers raising the lake level by relocation of an impoundment dam, which replaced and covered an earlier lake known as the Garza/Little Elm Reservoir.
As growth discovered Little Elm in the late 1990s, residents began to prepare for the flood of new residents that were learning about the town’s beautiful lake setting that had been enjoyed so much by a small number of the local residents for decades. And what a flood it has been! The population was 3,646 at the 2000 census. By the 2010 census, the city total had jumped to 25,898, making Little Elm one of the fastest growing municipalities in Texas since 2000 in terms of percentage. And growth continues – the population was more than 35,000 as of 2016.
Welcome to Little Elm!
Stay in the know!
Follow Housewarmers of Little Elm on Facebook to stay up-to-date with what’s going on in our community!
Or get it delivered to your email inbox!